The move from primary school to secondary school means a number of major changes for all children. Most children will cope with these and feel accustomed to the changes by the end of the first couple of weeks. However, there are a number of things you can do to support your child through this transition. For advice regarding transition, please see the following websites:
- BBC - Getting Ready for Secondary School This website addresses popular concerns that children have before moving, as well as tips for dealing with these situations.
- Parent Dish: Starting Secondary School This website offers practical tips and routines to prepare your child before the move. There is also a feature to search for secondary schools in the local and national area.
Our main feeder school is Madeley School. Prior to the transition, the children in Year 6 will go on a two day visit to the school at the beginning of July. Here the children will have the chance to adjust to the routine, changes and to voice any questions or concerns.
For information regarding admission, please go to: Staffordshire County Council. In regards to applying for a place at a secondary school, please be aware of the following:
- Listing only one preference does not increase your chance of getting in to that school.
- Applying for more than one school does not weaken your chances of getting a place at your preferred school.
- Decisions about who to offer places to are made using the admissions criteria only, which other schools you have applied for is unimportant.
- All applications to a school are considered at the same time. Priority is not given to those who put the school first.
- The order in which you list the schools is only used if you could be offered a place at more than one school. In this case, you would be offered whichever of those schools was highest on your application.
- You should list the schools in the order that you would most prefer them, not the order you think you might get them.
- You need to make an application even if you have an elder child attending your preferred school.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding transition, you can contact Mrs Procter or Mrs Kuffour.